Skip to main content

Laundry Day


 There are two things a homemaker knows will never be “done:” dishes and laundry.  No matter how much you wash, you always create more that needs washing.  Yesterday I threw a load of laundry in the dryer on the sensor cycle, only to realize four hours later that the dryer was still running.  I opened the door to find the clothes warm, but still wet.  In the spring, summer, or fall, this wouldn’t have been a huge issue, unless the forecast said rain, because I would have hung the clothing outside on the clothesline to dry.  But its winter, and threatening snow (which we desperately need, so no complaints about that), so outside wasn’t an option.  So, I got creative, which made me think it might be a good time for a post about air-drying clothing. 

This is not my first time getting creative with my clothes drying.  When hubster and I were in college we would air-dry most of our clothing in (or outside of) our apartment.  We lived on the second floor of our building, and had a balcony with a railing that was great for hanging pants, towels, etc., over.  If it was too cold or wet, we would hang our jeans over the backs of kitchen chairs.  For shirts, we would hang them on hangers and then hang those hangers on our rather low rain gutters on the back balcony.  After our first baby arrived, hubster used c-clamps to attach posts to the balcony to which he attached a clothesline just right for baby clothes and cloth diapers.

Since moving here, we have been using the existing clothesline when weather permits.  I am always excited when it warms up enough for the clothes to dry outside.  Any way I can save money I am a.o.k. with. And what could be cheaper than free sunshine?

Two summers ago I found a plastic and metal drying rack for ten cents at a yard sale and snatched it up to use it for my cloth diapers in any weather because, let’s face it, prefolds take FOREVER to dry in the dryer and I would much rather not use that much electricity. Once the little one began toddling around it became a safety hazard, so it got put away…until yesterday. When the dryer went out on a load of whites, with another load of darks waiting in the washer, I put that drying rack to use on some of the smaller items (top of page).  I also hung the heavier items on our baby gate that sits around the fireplace to keep the kids from getting burnt.  A few items went over the backs of chairs, and anything that I could fit on a hanger was suspended from an extra tension rod that I installed in our laundry room.  If we had more space, I think I might do this permanently, but (alas!) the drying rack takes up half a room in our tiny little place, and with two very active boys that is space that I just can’t give up right now.
 
Do you air dry your clothes?  Any creative ways you have found to do it?  I have always been intrigued with the many styles of drying racks and clotheslines.  Our clothesline is just 2 simple T-frames with lines strung between them. Does anyone have any input on the difference between those and the circular kind? Or a favorite drying rack? I’d love to hear some other opinions and ideas!


(Disclaimer:  This post contains links to affiliate sites)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homeschooling on a Budget

We finally took the plunge. For the last year and a half we have been homeschooling.  We made the decision for a combination of academic and social reasons, and I'm telling you it was so worth it to see a once struggling student be successful and have confidence again. Unfortunately, the investment of time into my children has resulted in a dearth of postings, and will likely continue to do so. But, lucky for you, I have decided to post a few of the awesome free resources we have found that have been helping us to homeschool on a budget.  They include both secular and Christian resources, so hopefully you can find something that will suit your needs. 1.   The Good and The Beautiful  language arts curriculum.  Jenny Phillips has created an amazing Christian curriculum resource available for FREE for families.  Levels 1-5 of The Good and The Beautiful's language arts curricula are free in their .pdf formats.  The links to the free digital versions are buried below the "w

Christmas Planning: A "Christmas" Miracle and Getting Started Early

This last Easter weekend we had snow. SNOW. On Easter Weekend. There was a lot of murmuring in our valley about what many saw as nature's cruel joke. That is, until everyone found out about Allanna, a six year old in our valley suffering with cancer. She isn't expected to live until next December, so her family decided to have her last Easter AND her last Christmas over Easter weekend. And we got snow. Isn't God good?  You can see news story about Allana and her miracle snow here. Along with sharing this heartwarming story with you, I thought maybe it is time to share some holiday tips that I use to help make the holidays more enjoyable, affordable, and doable at our house. So, over the course of this week, I will be sharing both our Christmas Philosophy, and some ideas about how to pay for it. I know it is early in the year, but I wanted to put them out there because a few require advanced planning, and the rest are worth mulling over! More to come!! Up Next:  Our

Mmm...BBQ Sauce

Yesterday was Mothers’ Day, and oh what a Mothers’ Day it was: I got a Blendtec blender for my Mothers’ Day gift.   I have been pining over a high-powered blender for a couple of years now, and scrimping and saving all the while.   So when I saw the Blendtec on sale on Costco’s website a week before Mothers’ Day, Hubster and I talked it over and decided that we could use part of our gift budget to make up the difference between what we had saved and the cost of the blender and take the plunge as a happy Moms’ Day for me!! Don’t I have an awesome husband?   And the kids are not complaining.   We opened it a couple of days early, and we have had smoothies four time since it has come.   In honor of the newest member of our family, I would like to share a recipe!   Now, this recipe can be made using any old blender, but I think the Blendtec definitely made it smoother.   So, without further ado: Homemade BBQ Sauce This BBQ sauce uses canned fruit, and I like to use any