Skip to main content

Cleaning Without Chemicals


Okay guys, I gotta admit that I have discovered something I am super stoked about, so I thought I would share!  Before I get to the nitty gritty, let me back up a bit and give you some history on this discovery.

We have problems at our house. Skin problems, sinus problems, fertility problems...you get the idea. Many of these problems are what led me to start making my own cleaning and beauty products. Commercially available household cleaners are chocked full of harmful chemicals known to cause skin irritation, allergic reactions, cancer, and even reproductive problems. I don't have proof, but I have a sneaky suspicion that many of our modern illnesses and health concerns have their roots in what we put in, on, and around our bodies.

I have been using vinegar and baking soda to clean with, and I have also been making my own laundry detergent for at least 5 years.  Both are great options for cutting down on suspicious chemicals in your home, but I could never get my mirrors and windows clean without smudges and streaks, our whites got pretty dingy pretty fast in our hard well water, I couldn't use the homemade detergent on our cloth diapers, and my house always smelled like vinegar (or orange scented vinegar).  That last problem didn't really bother me, but my husband wasn't so thrilled with the vinegar smell and he let me know it.

That all changed two months ago when I went to a direct sales party at my sister in law's home.  These parties aren't my favorite thing, far from it in fact. I wasn't even going to go, but another family member asked me to go with her, and boy am I glad she did!  That is where I learned about **Norwex** (insert singing angels here).

Norwex's products are a cleaning revelation.  All it takes is their microfiber cloths and WATER to clean and remove 99% of bacteria from surfaces (they are even approved by the FDA to make this claim).  AND there is anti-microbial silver imbedded in the cloths that help it to self-clean.  Just rinse it out with hot water and hang it up to dry and the silver kills any bacteria in the cloth. You can use the same cloth over and over again and only wash it once a week. AND any bacteria that is picked up by the cloth WILL NOT transfer to another surface. So you can clean up raw chicken spills and then wipe a high chair tray with the same cloth and not cross-contaminate. Here is a little video on the science behind it:



Not only does Norwex have household cleaning supplies (including some pastes and detergents that are made from all-natural, gentle ingredients), but they have a whole line of body products as well.  Their Body Cloth has made all of the difference in our skincare routines.  It even helped get rid of a contact dermatitis reaction on my son last week, and it gently exfoliates to remove my blackheads.

The best part? My windows and mirrors are streak free, my house doesn't smell like vinegar, and the microfiber and water actually does a better job at cleaning and removing bacteria AND what they feed on than the vinegar did.  I'm waiting for my order of laundry detergent to see if it keeps my whites whiter than my homemade laundry soap does.  It is a little pricy, so if it works I will probably reserve it for my microfiber cloths, cloth diapers, and whites only.

Norwex has an awesome mission: to improve quality of life by radically reducing the use of chemicals in personal care and cleaning.

Want more information?  Check out this YouTube channel I put together.

Want some?  You can check them out HERE.  I started out with the Household Package which includes the dusting mitt, an Envirocloth (the cleaning cloth) and the Window cloth (for polishing after cleaning...use this after the Encirocloth on windows and chrome for streak-free perfection!). I also got the Body Cloth Pack. All of their microfiber has a two year guarantee, but most last much, much longer.





Links on this post do lead to a Norwex business site for an Independent Product Sales Consultant.  I am receiving compensation for referrals, but I wouldn't recommend a product I don't use and believe in.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homeschooling on a Budget

We finally took the plunge. For the last year and a half we have been homeschooling.  We made the decision for a combination of academic and social reasons, and I'm telling you it was so worth it to see a once struggling student be successful and have confidence again. Unfortunately, the investment of time into my children has resulted in a dearth of postings, and will likely continue to do so. But, lucky for you, I have decided to post a few of the awesome free resources we have found that have been helping us to homeschool on a budget.  They include both secular and Christian resources, so hopefully you can find something that will suit your needs. 1.   The Good and The Beautiful  language arts curriculum.  Jenny Phillips has created an amazing Christian curriculum resource available for FREE for families.  Levels 1-5 of The Good and The Beautiful's language arts curricula are free in their .pdf formats.  The links to the free digital versions are buried below the "w

Mmm...BBQ Sauce

Yesterday was Mothers’ Day, and oh what a Mothers’ Day it was: I got a Blendtec blender for my Mothers’ Day gift.   I have been pining over a high-powered blender for a couple of years now, and scrimping and saving all the while.   So when I saw the Blendtec on sale on Costco’s website a week before Mothers’ Day, Hubster and I talked it over and decided that we could use part of our gift budget to make up the difference between what we had saved and the cost of the blender and take the plunge as a happy Moms’ Day for me!! Don’t I have an awesome husband?   And the kids are not complaining.   We opened it a couple of days early, and we have had smoothies four time since it has come.   In honor of the newest member of our family, I would like to share a recipe!   Now, this recipe can be made using any old blender, but I think the Blendtec definitely made it smoother.   So, without further ado: Homemade BBQ Sauce This BBQ sauce uses canned fruit, and I like to use any

Tip For Peeling Eggs

Image by khunaspix via freedigitalphotos.net  The best part of having your own chickens is fresh eggs.  Since spring feels like it has arrived in our neck of the woods, our chickens have ramped up their egg production significantly in the last couple of weeks.  This occurred right after I bought a dozen and a half eggs from Costco since I wasn't expecting to have so many fresh ones on hand for a few weeks yet.  Oops.  So here I was with a huge amount of eggs, trying to figure out what to do with them.  Then I remembered a family pot luck we had coming up and decided it would be the perfect opportunity to use up a dozen or more eggs in hard-boiled form on a big batch of potato salad.  Since I was making hard boiled eggs, I though I'd share my little trick for peeling them. I never realized that people have a hard time peeling hard boiled eggs until I got married and my husband was complaining one day about how he couldn't get the eggs peeled very easily.  Then I noti