Skip to main content

Dilly Beans

My very first post on home canning!! This is something I am pretty passionate about, so I'm a little sad that I decided to start this blog at the end of the canning season, because that means that I missed out blogging about peaches, pears, apricots, and applesauce.  As it is, I am going to be posting the end of our harvest canning. First up.....Dilly Beans! (aka pickled green beans).


This recipe makes 4 pints of pickled green beans.

What you'll need:
2(ish) lbs green beans
1/4 c. canning salt
2 1/2 c. vinegar
2 1/2 c. water
4 cloves peeled garlic
2 tbs dill seed
4 pint jars
4 new canning lids
4 canning rings
Water bath canner

Snap or trim the ends off of green beans and pack them vertically into clean pint jars (I like to lay my jar on its side while I do most of the packing, and then tip it upright and see if there is any more room). Put 1/2 tbs dill seed and 1 clove garlic in each jar.  Put the water, vinegar and salt in a sauce pan and heat to boiling, making sure to stir enough so the salt gets dissolved.  Pour the brine mixture over the beans in the jars, remove air bubbles, leaving 1/4 inch head space. Wipe down the rim of the jar and place lids and adjust rings on the jars.  Process in a water bath for 10 minutes (begin timing once the water comes to a rolling boil).  It takes about a month for the beans to "pickle," so put them in a cool dark place to let the flavors meld for a while.  ENJOY!

If your green beans are really, REALLY long this year, you can also use this recipe to make 2 quarts, just put 1 tbs dill and 2 cloves garlic in each jar and it'll yield 2 quarts.  I just like pints because I find that we have less waste this way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homeschooling on a Budget

We finally took the plunge. For the last year and a half we have been homeschooling.  We made the decision for a combination of academic and social reasons, and I'm telling you it was so worth it to see a once struggling student be successful and have confidence again. Unfortunately, the investment of time into my children has resulted in a dearth of postings, and will likely continue to do so. But, lucky for you, I have decided to post a few of the awesome free resources we have found that have been helping us to homeschool on a budget.  They include both secular and Christian resources, so hopefully you can find something that will suit your needs. 1.   The Good and The Beautiful  language arts curriculum.  Jenny Phillips has created an amazing Christian curriculum resource available for FREE for families.  Levels 1-5 of The Good and The Beautiful's language arts curricula are free in their .pdf formats.  The links to the free digital versions are buried below the "w

Christmas Planning: A "Christmas" Miracle and Getting Started Early

This last Easter weekend we had snow. SNOW. On Easter Weekend. There was a lot of murmuring in our valley about what many saw as nature's cruel joke. That is, until everyone found out about Allanna, a six year old in our valley suffering with cancer. She isn't expected to live until next December, so her family decided to have her last Easter AND her last Christmas over Easter weekend. And we got snow. Isn't God good?  You can see news story about Allana and her miracle snow here. Along with sharing this heartwarming story with you, I thought maybe it is time to share some holiday tips that I use to help make the holidays more enjoyable, affordable, and doable at our house. So, over the course of this week, I will be sharing both our Christmas Philosophy, and some ideas about how to pay for it. I know it is early in the year, but I wanted to put them out there because a few require advanced planning, and the rest are worth mulling over! More to come!! Up Next:  Our

Mmm...BBQ Sauce

Yesterday was Mothers’ Day, and oh what a Mothers’ Day it was: I got a Blendtec blender for my Mothers’ Day gift.   I have been pining over a high-powered blender for a couple of years now, and scrimping and saving all the while.   So when I saw the Blendtec on sale on Costco’s website a week before Mothers’ Day, Hubster and I talked it over and decided that we could use part of our gift budget to make up the difference between what we had saved and the cost of the blender and take the plunge as a happy Moms’ Day for me!! Don’t I have an awesome husband?   And the kids are not complaining.   We opened it a couple of days early, and we have had smoothies four time since it has come.   In honor of the newest member of our family, I would like to share a recipe!   Now, this recipe can be made using any old blender, but I think the Blendtec definitely made it smoother.   So, without further ado: Homemade BBQ Sauce This BBQ sauce uses canned fruit, and I like to use any