Skip to main content

Old Shirt to PJs

My eldest won't stop growing!!  We recently had to buy him new jeans, money we are willing to pay for extra durability because this boy is ROUGH on his clothes (I highly recommend Wranglers, they have worn better than any other brand we have tried, and you can get them at a deep discount from VF Outlet, especially on clearance).  While we were shopping to for jeans I looked at pajamas as well because they were also getting short on him.  OUCH!! I forget how expensive PJs can be every time until I go looking.  Sometimes we get a good deal at Costco, but they have already stocked their spring/summer wear and the nights are still cold here, so that was a no go. I was considering just letting him wear PJ pants a few inches short (nobody will ever know.....) until the weather warmed up.  But then I saw them: two perfectly good long-sleeve shirts that my husband had put in the donation pile, one was even made of thermal fabric.  "Light Bulb!"
So out of the box they came and in I came with the scissors.  I had done this before when he was much smaller, but was worried that he *might* be too tall this time around.  I laid one of the new pairs of jeans on top of the sleeve and it looked like it might just work, IF I ignored the shoulder seams and just went over them.   Here is how I did it!

1. Fold your shirt in half so that the sleeves meet up perfectly (as seen above).  Smooth out any underlying wrinkles from the sleeves and top half of the shirt.
2. Fold a pair of pants in half (one that you know fits) so that the back pockets are facing out.  Make sure the crotch is pointing out all of the way.  Jeans are a perfect pant for this because the waistband won't need to be stretched out as you cut around them.  Lay the folded pants on top of the shirt, the bottom hem lined up with the sleeve edge.  It just so happened the that the point of the crotch lined up perfectly on this shirt with the armpit.  The other shirt I had to cut past the armpit a bit to get the crotch point which meant I had to extend that inner sleeve seam up to the crotch point before sewing the crotch.

3. Cut from the top of the waistband and around the crotch seam.  If you are using a knit (stretchy) fabric, you can cut pretty close to the pants.  If you are using a woven (not stretchy) fabric, you'll want to leave some extra room for the sleeve allowance.  I haven't tried this with anything but knits, so if you do let me know how it goes.  DON'T cut down the pant leg edges (unless part of it come in above the armpit of the shirt), they are already sewn so this saves you time and effort.  If the pattern pants have an elastic waist, stretch it out and cut to its widest stretched out point. 

 4. Now you have two sleeves/pant legs.  Keep one rightside out, but turn the other one inside out.

5. Now slip the right side out sleeve/leg INSIDE the inside out sleeve/leg.  I do this by putting on one sleeve first, and then the other one on top of it.


 5. Make sure the bottom edges are lined up, and then line up the center seams and edges.

 6. Sew along the curved edges (crotch edge) all the way from the front to the back.




7. Make sure you didn't accidentally sew along the straight edge that runs along the top (this is the waist).  Go ahead and flip your pants so that they are all right side out and finish with your favorite method of elastic.  I used a no casing elastic so that I didn't lose any length in the torso so he still has room to grow.

VOILA! Pajama pants for next to nothing!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homeschooling on a Budget

We finally took the plunge. For the last year and a half we have been homeschooling.  We made the decision for a combination of academic and social reasons, and I'm telling you it was so worth it to see a once struggling student be successful and have confidence again. Unfortunately, the investment of time into my children has resulted in a dearth of postings, and will likely continue to do so. But, lucky for you, I have decided to post a few of the awesome free resources we have found that have been helping us to homeschool on a budget.  They include both secular and Christian resources, so hopefully you can find something that will suit your needs. 1.   The Good and The Beautiful  language arts curriculum.  Jenny Phillips has created an amazing Christian curriculum resource available for FREE for families.  Levels 1-5 of The Good and The Beautiful's language arts curricula are free in their .pdf formats.  The links to the free digital versions are buried below the "w

Tip For Peeling Eggs

Image by khunaspix via freedigitalphotos.net  The best part of having your own chickens is fresh eggs.  Since spring feels like it has arrived in our neck of the woods, our chickens have ramped up their egg production significantly in the last couple of weeks.  This occurred right after I bought a dozen and a half eggs from Costco since I wasn't expecting to have so many fresh ones on hand for a few weeks yet.  Oops.  So here I was with a huge amount of eggs, trying to figure out what to do with them.  Then I remembered a family pot luck we had coming up and decided it would be the perfect opportunity to use up a dozen or more eggs in hard-boiled form on a big batch of potato salad.  Since I was making hard boiled eggs, I though I'd share my little trick for peeling them. I never realized that people have a hard time peeling hard boiled eggs until I got married and my husband was complaining one day about how he couldn't get the eggs peeled very easily.  Then I noti

Christmas Planning Part II: Our Christmas Gift Philosophy

It is very easy around the Holidays to get caught up in the "magic" of Christmas. And what could be more magical than a giant pile of presents under the tree, right? While this may paint a lovely picture, it can't always be the reality financially. And even if you can swing it for one year, it might set up an expectation or precedent for years to come. Years that might not be as abundant. In our family, we have decided to shift the focus as much as we can from getting and gifts, to giving, making memories, and traditions (more on that to come).  We still give gifts, but we have pared it down quite a bit to make it more manageable. We have settled on giving our kids 4 presents each year, based around the following rhyme shared with me by a friend: "Something they want, something they need, something to wear, something to read." I can already hear your brains ticking, "Do you seriously only give your kids ONE TOY at Christmas?" Well, no. These are the